Thanks to WeLikeEdwards.com

1.12.2008

Why is it that Edwards is the Only Rich Candidate?

I was browsing through my news searches and came across this local "Letter to the Editor" from the Arizona Republic out of Phoenix, Arizona. The reader was responding to a pro-Edwards letter which must have been run in a previous newspaper. Listen to what he said,

Regarding "Edwards is a true man of the people" (Letters, Jan. 4): The letter writer doesn't tell all the facts on the rags-to-riches story of John Edwards. His fast rise to multimillionaire status wasn't earned in "the trenches," as the letter writer suggests; it came in the courtroom, where he brought malpractice suits against hospitals, emergency rooms and doctors in his home state of North Carolina. When he ran four years ago for vice president with John Kerry, the governor of North Carolina stated Edwards was running for vice president because he couldn't get re-elected if he ran for senator from North Carolina. He had damaged the health-care system in his state by suing hospitals, closing emergency rooms and causing a shortage of doctors who relocated to other states because they couldn't afford malpractice insurance in their state. This is the same candidate who stands before us now and laments about the high cost of health care and promises we will have the same health-care coverage senators receive. He also stresses that we must reduce our dependency on oil and save energy while he lives in a 28,000-square-foot home. That's right - a home 10 times the size of an average home with l0 times the energy usage, and he wants us to believe he's concerned about global warming. One thing I will give him: He's the only candidate who would be downsizing if he moved into the White House. I'm not sure how the letter writer can refer to us as Edwards' "fellow average Americans" but I do agree with Edwards: There are two Americas. John Edwards does not walk like he talks. - James Smeets, Sun City West

I don't blame James for his lack of insight. In fact, I feel sorry for him. I do believe John's story is rags to riches. He was born into a mill family (as was I). He saw his father struggle in the textile industry (as did I and still do with my father in the paper industry). He was the first in his family to go and graduate from college (as was I). He went on to get an advanced degree (as did I). I am a recent Masters graduate so my level of success is yet to be determined but I would say I moved up the ladder in much of the same way that John did. I like how the media spins his legal career as stealing money from corporations for his own gain. What these people did to the people he represented was shameful. John earned every penny he has sitting in his home. If you do your research, former collegues have spoken about his drive -- the long hours, the marathon nights of preparation -- this didn't just appear on the campaign trails. This is something he has always done. I applaud him for that. If you have been successful in your life in a positive way, why should that be punished?

With all of that said, do you honestly believe John Edwards is the only rich candidate. I am not about to use against him the money he has earned.... or any other candidate. The point of seeing what you are about to see is how the media ignores other candidates net worth.

Clinton $34.9 million
Edwards $54.7 million
Giuliani $52.2 million
McCain $40.4 million
Obama $1.3 million
Romney $202 million
Thompson $8.1 million

I don't care if you have 1 million dollars or 202 million dollars.... you are rich compared to the average middle class American. It is about what you do with that money. Let's look at John's sheet:



Let me just say, I am not a financial expert by any means so bear with me here. What do people notice right off? Hedge Funds, right? I tried to find an old article which states John has since divested these funds which were linked to subprime mortages with Hurricane Katrina victims and wouldn't you know it.... they have disappeared. I think with the level of success he had as a lawyer, he has managed his money well. You can't tell me his own money hasn't played a positive role. He and Elizabeth gave back (and I am certain they continue to) so much.... Center on Poverty, Work and Opportunity and College for Everyone at the University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill. He has given back to his community.

Finally, back to James, I hope people like him see this article and take a good look at all of the candidates. After all, we are here to promote fairness, right? This goes for John and the rest of the individuals who are running to be President of the United States. Look around America. Do your homework. The media isn't always telling it like it is.... this is a prime example. John may have money, but judge him on how he has used it to benefit his own family, community, and America.

2 comments:

GO JOHN GO! said...

Also worth noting is while Edwards seems to be the only person running for President who is rich, according to the media, because of this, the media and critics seem to think he has NO RIGHT to talk about POVERTY and should feel horrible about being rich while talking about the poor.

Since when does someone who has lived the American dream and come from NOTHING to becoming rich--through long hours, hard work, and fighting for people who couldn't fight for themselves, no less--forfeit their right to then try and make sure OTHERS HAVE A FAIR SHOT TO DO THE SAME?!

He should be able to enjoy the fruits of his labor especially since, as mentioned in above, he has given back, is giving back, and will always give back FAR more than most of those criticizing him.

Kristin said...

"Also worth noting is while Edwards seems to be the only person running for President who is rich, according to the media, because of this, the media and critics seem to think he has NO RIGHT to talk about POVERTY and should feel horrible about being rich while talking about the poor."

Excellent point! I knew I was forgetting something last night that I wanted to say and that was what I was trying to get at! lol :) Thanks friend! You hit the nail right on the head!


Fair Media Now is not a representative of or authorized by any candidate or candidates committee.


Some entries on this page appear in their entirety. This is done in order to preserve articles due to the constantly changing nature of the internet and for educational and research purposes in line with Copyright law.