Thanks to WeLikeEdwards.com

1.31.2008

I am a 'John Edward Democrat'

Pre-Announcement Thoughts: I got a phone call from a friend of mine at 8:30am with the news.... John Edwards is dropping out of the race at 1pmEST. My initial reactions are shock. My second thought is Elizabeth. She has not been on the campaign trail since the New Hampshire primary. In my opinion, she didn't look good. I wasn't there in New Hampshire first hand to see what she looked like in person but on television I thought she looked awful. I did some digging this morning and found this article which came out right after midnight which said she just needed a break and had a cold. This article also mentioned she had a doctor's appointment but it went fine. In fact, they said she would be back out on the campaign trail today. It just doesn't add up to me.

Right now, the media is touting the "it's about time" attitude along with he didn't have the resources or support. Let me first say, wow, look at all the media buzz John is getting for dropping out. Gee, thanks media for focusing on him NOW. ::shakes head:: Okay, let me re-focus here. For those of you who have been following my blog, you and I both know it was not about the resources. The money was coming in. They set records last month for fundraising and were getting ready to set another already this month. Also, for those of who who have been following the campaign, there has been no indication except for a run to the convention to collect delegates. These delegates would be our voice and his bargaining at the convention. We gave, now you have to give us something. For example, had John went all the way through, Clinton or Obama may have given him a VP spot?

The question each and everyone of us has now is, what are we to do with our vote? Especially us Super Tuesday folks. I have received a variety of responses to this. Some said they will now support Obama or Clinton.... some said they will not vote.... some said they are undecided (understandable of course since the announcement hasn't been made).... and some said they will still vote for John Super Tuesday. That is where I am. I am still going to vote for John Super Tuesday and let me tell you why.

Before I do that, understand, this is my opinion. You don't have to agree with it or like it. From the beginning, the media has shaped this election about the "firsts" and not the "issues" which I have said many times. I will not give up my right as an American to vote for Obama or Clinton just so I can help them tie up who the nomination is going to go to. Many of you have expressed to me this morning that a vote for John is a wasted vote. I don't agree. It is a vote for who I believe this country needs as a President in the White House. People started questioning me, "But, you know he isn't going to win so why should I vote for John?" I am deciding to vote for John because I want him to know that my vote wasn't bought by the media. People have been cornered into voting for Clinton or Obama because by not supporting the "firsts", you are supposed to feel guilty about that. As I have said before, it is supposed to be about the issues. We are supposed to be looking at ALL of the candidates this way.... not their race or gender. The issues have been forgotten EXCEPT when we have debates. John is the leader of the issues and has won every debate.... especially the last two. What did we see the next day? A replay of status quo bickering between Clinton and Obama and NOT John making the statement that this isn't about them.... it is about us. So, with all of this said, I know many of you are going to shift your support now to Obama, Clinton, or maybe even a Republican.... anything is possible.... but I am pledging to you right now that John Edwards will receive my vote Super Tuesday.



Post-Announcement Thoughts: John's speech to leave the 2008 Presidential race is over. I didn't get the answers I wanted. Why did he decide now? Why not attend the debate? Why not go through Super Tuesday? He suggested it was his time to step aside for history (aka Obama and Clinton) but people from Oklahoma and Minnesota almost made him change his mind. He doesn't want us to give up. He will never forget the work we did. He wants us to be united as a party. Speaking of the party, before I go any further, Obama and Clinton have released statements:

Obama Statement

John Edwards has spent a lifetime fighting to give voice to the voiceless and hope to the struggling, even when it wasn't popular to do or covered in the news. At a time when our politics is too focused on who's up and who's down, he made a nation focus again on who matters – the New Orleans child without a home, the West Virginia miner without a job, the families who live in that other America that is not seen or heard or talked about by our leaders in Washington. John and Elizabeth Edwards have always believed deeply that we can change this – that two Americas can become one, and that our country can rally around this common purpose. So while his campaign may end today, the cause of their lives endures for all of us who still believe that we can achieve that dream of one America.

Clinton Statement
John Edwards ended his campaign today in the same way he started it - by standing with the people who are too often left behind and nearly always left out of our national debate.

John ran with compassion and conviction and lifted this campaign with his deep concern for the daily lives of the American people. That is what this election is about - it's about our people. And John is one of the greatest champions the American people could ask for.

I wish John and Elizabeth all the best. They have my great personal respect and gratitude. And I know they will continue to fight passionately for the country and the people they love so deeply.

In my opinion, both of these candidates put something on their websites with statements for us to see. By doing that, they may take more of our votes for Super Tuesday and defeat the other.

Back to John. I think it is going to be very much a waiting game for his future. VP? Cabinet position? No one knows. We won't know for quite some time unless there is a breakthrough somewhere. I feel like I have so much to say but I can't put it into words right now except to say directly to John, Elizabeth, Cate, Emma Claire, and Jack -- Thank you. And to John specifically, a big thanks from a papermaker's daughter from Northern New York who still believes the middle class will rise again with John Edwards as President of the United States. It may not be 2008 but 2016? I believe John. I believe.

What am I going to do now? In terms of voting, I am taking it one day at a time. The next vote I have to be worried about is Super Tuesday. I have not changed my mind. I will be voting for John Edwards in Oklahoma on Super Tuesday. As far as the general election, I don't know what I am going to do at this time.

It has been a pleasure working for John on myspace. Even if he never saw my site or heard my name, I know he knows that people like me and you fought hard to get people to hear his voice. I have met so many tremendous people here who have taught this rookie a thing or two! ;) I have always been a voter but never involved like this.... following the day to day.... donating money.... etc.... With that said, this myspace isn't going ANYWHERE! I will continue to follow the Edwards' causes. I will likely revamp this a bit in the coming weeks. I do not know what capacity my blogging will be. I am up in the air about that right now. Bottom line, I am not deleting this space. I may delete my Pro-Choice for Edwards myspace and Universal Health Care for Edwards and combine information here. We'll see though.

One thing is for certain.... from now on.... when someone asks me what party I am with.... my friend Jeremy put it best.... 'I am a John Edwards Democrat'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You may want to retitle your blog. John Edward sees dead people. John Edwards on the other hand is..."the mouth from the South, the Carolina anti-corporate crusader, the "angry" guy who just keeps on smiling, the voice for the voiceless, the man who proudly walks in the shadow of Martin Luther King Jr, the Truth-teller, the First on Universal Healthcare, the First to sound the alarm for the Recession we're in, the First to present an Economic stimulus plan, the enemy of O'Reilly, the voice for 200,000 homeless veterans, the champion of the 37 million Americans who live in Poverty, the man who doesn't know how or when to quit, the man smart enough to marry Elizabeth, the guy that makes Wall Street shake in its Gucci boots, the one guy Washington can't stand, the son of a mill worker, the Right to Organize candidate, the Raise the Minimum wage to a Living wage candidate, the guy who lets Dave Letterman mess up his hair, Ann Coulter's worst nightmare, the man who has and will move our Corporate Democrat party to the Progressive wing come hell or high-water." http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/1/28/135247/776/649/444807

John Edwards is the best of why I am a Democrat.


Fair Media Now is not a representative of or authorized by any candidate or candidates committee.


Some entries on this page appear in their entirety. This is done in order to preserve articles due to the constantly changing nature of the internet and for educational and research purposes in line with Copyright law.