Thanks to WeLikeEdwards.com

1.14.2008

Differences between Edwards & Obama

By Time For Change at Democratic Underground

For the full piece visit:
http://journals.democraticunderground.com/Time%20for%20change/268

Posted by Time for change in General Discussion
Sun Jan 13th 2008, 07:32 PM

I perceive these as dark times for our country. Not only have we just endured 7 years of the worst and most lawless presidential administration in our nation’s history, along with the failure of our Congress to respond accordingly; but it appears likely that for the first time since 1972, when I first became old enough to vote in a presidential election, I will be disappointed in my Party’s choice of nominee. Yes, I’ll still vote for him or her, for reasons that I have previously explained. But if either of the two current front runners wins this nomination I will have difficulty mustering up much enthusiasm – unless I change my mind about them, which is still possible.

Since 1972, my main criteria for feeling good about the Democratic nominee has been adherence to the general liberal principles of the Democratic Party, going at least as far back as FDR and his New Deal. In domestic affairs, that means at the very least, recognizing that the purpose of government is to improve the lives of the American people – not to cater to special interests at the expense of the American people. And in foreign affairs, that means recognizing the basic principles of international law as put forth in the United Nations Charter, especially the principle that war should be used only as a last resort to defend the vital interests of our country.

I have serious concerns about the extent to which our two front runners adhere to those basic principles. In both cases, there is evidence for and against. Though I have serious concerns about both frontrunners, this post focuses on the contrast between the world views of Obama and Edwards, since this is something I have thought a lot about recently.


Emphasis of the Edwards campaign on fighting poverty

My initial opinion of John Edwards was mainly formed in 2003-4 during his presidential campaign. What impressed me most about him was his emphasis on poverty – a theme that I don’t recall being emphasized by a serious major party presidential candidate since I’ve been old enough to vote – with the possible exception of George McGovern in 1972.

What was so surprising about Edwards’ emphasis on that issue was that poverty is considered a losing campaign issue in this country. Those most affected by it are the least likely to vote, and they certainly don’t contribute much money to political campaigns. Furthermore, it’s almost impossible to raise the subject without being accused of “class warfare”.

Yet, as I discuss in this post, Edwards has not only made poverty a centerpiece of both his 2004 and 2008 presidential campaigns, but he has developed comprehensive plans for eradicating poverty in our country.

This is extremely important in my view. In a slight revision of one of Jesus’ most famous quotes, I would say of presidential candidates that whatever they neglect to do for the least powerful of their constituents they neglect to do for their country.


One America or Two Americas – The striking difference between Obama and Edwards at the 2004 Democratic National Convention

[ Read Full Post... ]

No comments:


Fair Media Now is not a representative of or authorized by any candidate or candidates committee.


Some entries on this page appear in their entirety. This is done in order to preserve articles due to the constantly changing nature of the internet and for educational and research purposes in line with Copyright law.